Trying to Figure Out Google Buzz

Discuss how you are making money. How do we optimize our actions and get the most out of what we are doing online information and action.

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:17 am

Ok, I think if we all have questions about Google Buzz and post them then maybe we can help each other figure it all out.

Everyone should have Google Buzz by now.

I know you can set your Followers & Following to Private. This is a safe way to protect your friends. Yet, it won't help them get new followers IF that is what they want. Remember that if the person is using the Customized URL then...anyone can figure out the email address of that person.

IF a Buzz is public, anyone can post on it.

You can easily follow & unfollow people with 1 click.

IF you add to your CONNECTED SITES - you may drive people crazy! I kind of figure if I follow you on Twitter/friendfeed then I sure don't need a copy of tweets in the BUZZ.
What I don't get is it will let me add my STORY page to connected sites BUT, where did it find my story page (it is NOT listed on my Google Profile).

If you look at the View Page Source of a Google Profile it says No Cache - Some profiles like Mashable are cached & most of us "little" people are not - to check you can stick this in cache:http://www.google.com/profiles/mashable

The original link posted by the BUZZ owner "looks" to be DoFollow & the links in the comments are NoFollow. I just don't see G giving any DoFollow juice to any links...they know it will just create spam crap. And I can not find a single Google Profile that has PR.

Also just like Twitter - Mashable has over 13,000 Followers yet, they only Follow 4 people. I think all the "Big Boys" will treat Buzz just like Twitter & it will be a numbers game all over again.

Ok, that's all I got right now - help me out here. LOL!

Sheryl

Oh, I only used Mashable as an example because it was the easiest Big boy to find.
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Trying to Figure Out Google Buzz

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am

I have been looking around & one of my favorite SEO Consultants Eric Gehler thinks we might just need to build some backlinks to our Google Profiles to get them Cached. If you look at Eric's profile you can see what is meant by allowing others to see who you follow & who follows you o Buzz.

If you look at Sheryl Loch profile you will notice that who I follow & who follows me does not show.

Also if you look at Eric's profile URL, his is customized....my profile URL is not.

I also noticed that I have not started my own Buzz so I have nothing on my profile. I thought maybe that it would show on my page that I had posted on other peoples. Guess that's what I get for thinkin???!!!

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm

So how big is Buzz going to get?
I'm still not sure. I do know that some people have gone crazy talking about it.
Some have gone crazy trying to get followers.
And some could not care less.

I still haven't figured out if there is a real benefit to posting Buzzez. Well, if you have 1000's of followers maybe...but, why not just have them comment on your blog instead? It does seem like most people are just buzzing their own links. BAFFLING!

Oh whatever.... so just in case your readers would like to share your post with their Buzz Buddies...it's now super easy. You can add this super simple plug in on your Wordpress blog - It will allow people to buzz any article. Google Buzz Plug In for Wordpress. It only takes a few minutes to install and you can have people buzzing your post.

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Postby theflyonthewall » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

I think I will skip this one. Heck I can't figure out how to use FriendFeed so don't want to waste time with another app, at least not right now :)
theflyonthewall

Postby Sheryl Loch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Tam I fully understand not always jumping in the newest puddle. I did the FriendFeed thing & saw a little use for it & then BAM...Facebook bought it & it went down the tubes.

I have to check out Buzz because I am of those with ADD or ADHD. I actually don't even believe in either so maybe I have BBC, CDC, or need THC. Oh gee, what was the topic again...That's right BUZZ! Google buzz that is.

Ok, I was trying to figure out a way to "clean out" my Buzz email folder. HA! I did it & so can you!
Open Your BUZZ folder & see all the messages...Now look to the Right where it says COMMENTS Just click that Drop down & hit MUTE THIS POST. That will clear it from your list.

I was finding it hard to see if there was anything interesting with all the notices in there. I look & if it isn't something I care about...I MUTE it. Now, as far as I can tell you will no longer see any updates to that particular BUZZ so, only MUTE if you don't want to ever see it again.

I was also trying to figure out how to SEARCH BUZZ post (all post not just people I followed). I was very unsuccessful at getting any results worth a crap. BUT, I found someone who is much smarter than me (that's an easy task somedays).

Danny Sullivan over at Search Engine Land wrote How To Search Google Buzz This post will give you the best info I have found yet about searching Buzz.

The link he gives to search of Google Sites is what I was trying out today. Buzz Updated Search. I went there popped in my keyword & walla...I found some Buzzez about my word. I can't say they were anything great as BUZZ is so new maybe people are just putting crap on their pages??!!

I also tried the Buzzzy Search & I guess it was ok...still not what I wanted.

As for me...I have not sent out my own buzz yet. I am saving myself. I was early at loosing my Wave virginity & then just felt dirty so, I am waiting for Buzz to take off before I send one.

Ok, that is my info of the day. I have nothing else to offer except I am seeing more Profiles that show a Cache Date (oh Sherlock, how exciting).

I have to get back to Brain Surgery & Rocket Science now, byebye!

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:58 pm

More on using Buzz.

To post a picture I guess it goes through Picasa. I have not set up an account there yet so, I think that is why I couldn't get my pic to upload into a Buzz.

No, I did not try to post a Buzz....like everything else I had the dog do it. Why?
Because the dog does more "chit chatting" on Twitter than I do & I am going to see if Buzz is better for that. But, it will only work if his Fur friends on Twitter get buzzed. BOL! Zed's Google Buzz

Here are a few ways to spice up your buzz post
(*)word(*) = bold

(_)word(_) = italics

(-)word(-) = strikethrough

(--) = em-dash

That at least gives you a way to bring attention to certain words.

That's all I got for right now.
Thank you & have a nice day,
Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:58 pm

One of the lists I haven't unsubscribed to yet was offering a Google Buzz ebook for $10 I think. I almost ordered it but it's hard for me to part with good money (how sad am I when $10 is good money) when 99% of the ebooks out there are junk. I probably learned more from this thread than the ebook would have offered.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Brad West » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Not really sure the value yet with Google Buzz. It seems to be that your link if you start a post is a dofollow link but I wouldn't totally count on that knowing Google properties I would question it. I saw a video that said you got a dofollow back to your Google profile from comments. This is totally untrue as far as I can see comments are nofollow right then and there. They show pink from my SEO Book toolbar.

I'm sure there will be a flood of misinformation available to all that are willing to buy. I think the best way is to poke along and pick things up as time rolls on. Personally I think commenting may be ok because of the message sent to your Gmail account but as far as life changing value I just don't see it!
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Postby Sire » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 am

I reckon I have way too much on my plate to work another one out. I've already got MySpace which I hardly use, and FaceBook which I only use when someone friends me. Honestly I don't see why the younger generation is so infatuated with it. Perhaps you can get Cait to do a thesis on it. ;)
Sire

Postby Brad West » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Very understandable Sire, I don't have a MySpace anymore kind of an odd creepy place to me anyway. Don't get me wrong I love the human body and do enjoy nudity in its proper perspective, as art. But I don't really need all those mostly men claiming that they have a piece of art to show off. Really kind of freaks me out a little.

FaceBook is now beginning to have some value and is accessible to post from your FriendFeed and or your Twitter accounts. Take advantage of feed aggregators. Be careful not to back feed them though. More on that story from Sheryl it took her the better part of two weeks to get the ones she hooked up here at the guild going. But FaceBook is really getting valuable.

Now for Buzz I haven't wasted a ton of time on this. Brian and I had a little conversation going and I think that is what it was meant for. I have commented on other peoples Buzz submissions and got no response. People are just feeding their feeds to it and letting it go.
Haven't really found a great use for it yet.
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Next

Return to Marketing Topics