Pinterest

Discuss how you are making money. How do we optimize our actions and get the most out of what we are doing online information and action.

Pinterest

Postby Isha » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:32 am

Now I'm sure that I saw a thread here about Pinterest, I think started by Sheryl. But I've just now done a search for it and it seems to have disappeared, if it ever was.

Anyhoo, here's a helpful post by Lynn Terry about using it:

I'm sure that you're all experts at it but I've come late to this party and maybe Lynn's post will be useful to someone else, too.

Edit:
PS I found this article very interesting, too:

I'd love to see some of your Pinterests, if you've got 'em.
Isha

Pinterest

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Pinterest

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:58 pm

I have been giving Pinterest a slight try. I haven't really been with it enough to figure it out totally.

A while back I did write a post over at Brians blog Comparing Pinterest to Chill.

I am almost amazed at how many different ways people are saying to use the site. I guess I should have expected it as every new popular site has 8 billion experts. And they ALL have "rules" for using it. LOL!

I'm still trying to decide how I think I want to use Pinterest. That is why I posted the topic on Google Plus asking Use Pinterest as a Brand or as a Person. At the rate I am moving, I will still be debating this same thing when they move me into the nursing home. LOL!
Sheryl Loch

Postby Isha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Me too! :lol:

I haven't even got around to using it for business yet. It's like as soon as I've learnt to use one thing well, another fad site comes into fashion. :o
Isha

Postby Brad West » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm with you Isha I have been just trying to build some boards and make myself present and active. I do think in the long run incorporating business with pleasure will pay off very nicely.
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm sold on Pinterest. I like the fact they updated their terms and clarified they aren't trying to store/use/sell people's images (Shame on Facebook).

The network is growing super fast and I see some very creative branding practices be used. For example, Just this morning I seen a mouth-watering photo of Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese that said...
Click photo for the recipe.
I can't think of a better "free" way of driving qualified. There are many other methods/resources, but not necessarily better.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Re: Pinterest Tips and Pinning from Google Plus

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 am

I went and messed with Pinteret this past week and found some "interesting" things.

BEWARE of what you pin! Always take the couple of seconds to check the associated link. I found that some links are being changed from the original and being linked to crap sites that have NOTHING to do with the pin.

Some people have been posting links in the description area. I do NOT repin, like or comment on those. That is just blatant crap! I know that I saw someone say that links in the description were DoFollow but, they are NOT!

Watch for USER UPLOADED images that either have no link or don't seem to fit with the any of their other user uploaded pics. They could have stolen someone's image off of a site. Also watch for User Uploaded where they have a water mark and no link or the link doesn't go to where the image is hosted. I would rather be safe than sorry about "taking" someone's image without permission.

If I see a Pin that I want to RePin and it is linked to a Google Images, I try to find the site with the image, Google doesn't need the damned link. I click on the pin link to Google and when it opens, I X out the image, and then I pin straight from the site so they get the "credit".

If a Pin is from somewhere like Flickr, I check the CC to make sure that the owner allows use of their image.

If you want to PIN an image from Google Plus…It is kind of a PITA to do it right and give the owner credit.

1) The post must be PUBLIC,

2) On the post where the image is, click the DATE. This will open it up as a single post,

3) You can NOT Pin from the "Shadow Box" it must be from the post,

4) The url will look like -
plus.google.com/107653058982522781122?hl=en&tab=h#110550959948544653499/posts/4TGUiMoZ5Pp
This URL will NOT work! It will NOT let you click from Pinterest to the G+ thread!

5) If your G+ URL looks like
https://plus.google.com/u/0/110550959948544653499/posts
It will only go to the G+ user ID, it will NOT go to the particular post where the image is as it has no "post ID#", So go back to step 2 and try again.

6) BEFORE you PIN you MUST edit the url. You will take out
plus.google.com/107653058982522781122?hl=en&tab=h#110550959948544653499/posts/4TGUiMoZ5Pp
this will leave the ID number of the G+ poster/ post/post ID

7) Your Pinnable URL should look like -
plus.google.com/110550959948544653499/posts/4TGUiMoZ5Pp

8) Now pin as usual.
Using this method is the ONLY way I know of that will work on Pinterest! I also do this when I place a G+ link on any site. That way I don't have to worry.

When doing a search on Pinterest, you can also use the key words in "s (quotes) to refines the phrase just like you do on Google.

I read that the description area allows for 500 characters. LOTS of people just write something like "so cute" and that will not really help get your pins found on Pinterest or Google. Yes, use your keywords! While I wouldn't write out 500 characters, I do use a descent amount.

What I have been finding in the Google Searches is…Pinterest is showing up. When you click on the link from a G search it takes you to the BOARD where the text is located. The text can be from any pin on that board. So it seems that Google is looking at boards as a whole rather than separate "pins".

It could be that I just haven't found a good pin indexed yet. And, the url to boards has the username and the title of the board and maybe that is influencing the indexing.

Yes, remember when you are titling your boards that the board name is part of the URL! Think keywords! http://pinterest.com/fuzzyanipals/kids-easter-ideas/

Individual Pins have NO keywords http://pinterest.com/pin/132293307774125845/

If you want to see if there are any Pins for a certain domain then just use http://pinterest.com/source/fuzzywuzzyanipals.com/ Only change the domain name. LOL! Remember that this does NOT always show all the pins from that domain. So, don't freakout if you know there are more.

Since Pinterest is a "Social" site and you want your lil avatar to be seen so people will check your boards out…when I get an email saying that someone Repinned, liked or comment on one of my pins…I go to their boards and pick something to like, repin or comment on of theirs (as long as they are not scum spammers).

Ok, I already have 651 word on a post that I was going to do quick.
If I think of more tips…I'll come back and add them.
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 am

Wow Sheryl, you're like an internet investigation expert. lol I am starting to find a lot of followers that have no likes or interaction. These are spammers as far as I'm concerned and I wont follow back. I get a lot of these type of followers on Digg as well and I really don't see why they bother. One thing I noticed is it's common for them to setup a Twitter account (linked from their profile) and there will be no activity or followers there as well. Just another indicator.

As far as Google search, I'm amazed the content isn't being indexed but it sure looks like that. First I searched both the image tag and URL of an image from one of your posts and found it on both Hot Blog Tips and Flickr. It wasn't showing from Pinterest or Tumblr. Then I just searched for "pinterest.com" in Google images the only image that noticed from that site was their logo. I didn't check every one but it seems like the more popular pins would have shown up in the results.
HotBlogTips.com
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Pinterest Image Searches on Google and Bing

Postby Sheryl Loch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:09 am

Ok Brian, I did some investigating for YOU! :lol:

Regular Google Searches DO pull up text from Pinterest pins. As mentioned in my last post, so use KEY PHRASES!!!!!

Google Images Searches DO pull up Pinterest Pins!

Here is the search on Google Images for Images on Pinterest. To get this it pull up, I went to Google Images and put in site:pinterest.com

Most of the images will lead you to a Users Page or a Users Board. I did a search on Google Images for site:pinterest.com Opuntia subulata cristata I used this term because I knew it would be a narrow search. There were 3 images, 2 of them are mine. Weird thing is...neither are my "Opuntia subulata cristata" image, but they are on the same board as it is. I also tried putting the words in "quotations" and got the same results.

Both of the images for that search led to my CACTUS BOARD, not the Individual Pins! Neither led just to my Profile Page.

Ok, now you can go play with the Google Image search and I will move on. LOL!

Now, let's move onto BING! Oh, did you know there was a search engine other than Google? Well there is and it is called BING. Yes, it also has an image search!

First I just wanted to make sure that Pinterest would even pull up in a Bing Image search so, here is the site:pinterest.com search on Bing Images.

Ok, this is where it gets funky....
If you click on one of the images in this search, it opens to a new tab, displays the image, has a link on the side to the Pinterest users BOARD where it is pinned, BUT if you hover over the image or the "See Full Size Image"...You will see that they are linked to the original site it was pulled/pinned from.

I then tried the Bing Image search with site:pinterest.com "Opuntia subulata cristata". I got NOTHING!! with or with out my key phrase in "quotation". In fact many unique phrases I tried gave me Nothing!

So, I went to very general phrases. Here is a BING Image search for site:pinterest.com stuffed animals it does have some stuffed animals and then it also has some off the wall stuff.

It has a picture of "the Golden Girls" and when I clicked it, it can lead me to a Pinterest BOARD. This particular board did NOT contain the words "stuffed animals" anywhere. One pin description DID have the words "plush animal".

Another image on the search is of a banana palm tree snack. When I checked where it went...again I could click the Pinterest link and go to a BOARD. On the board I found NO text for any pin with the words "stuffed animal". In fact I only found 2 descriptions with the word "animal" and that was as close as it came to matching my search term.

So, there you go.
The Search Engines are indexing the images.

Google and BING both seem to lead to BOARDS or USER PROFILES and NOT to INDIVIDUAL PINS.

Google Images is retrieving closer search term matches than BING!

Thank you and have a nice day,
Sheryl Loch
Sheryl Loch

Re: Pinterest Adds Board Cover Images

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Pinterest now allows you to chose a photo to be the "Cover" of your board. Just mouse over a board and click to “Edit Board Cover”, then just scroll your pins until you find the one you want and "Set Cover".

That is a cool new option. I know that some pin pictures are so much more appealing than others so, now we can pick one that will get noticed.
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Nice research Sheryl, I just clicked your Google search link and there are more images now and 7 of the 9 go to your Pinterest images. I'm signed into G+ so it may be giving me a personalized search result based on our connection, I'm not sure.

http://www.diigo.com/item/image/2k2kj/0mpg

I did notice that Bing is linking to the original source rather that Pinterest, which is pretty cool. The image I checked was linked to a Tumblr post.
HotBlogTips.com
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Next

Return to Marketing Topics