Some Google + (Plus) Help

Discuss how you are making money. How do we optimize our actions and get the most out of what we are doing online information and action.

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:27 am

Well, the newest "Facebook Killer" is out and running ramped. Ok, it may not be a FB killer but I just had to use those "Buzz words" when I could. ;-)

The new Google + (plus) has started hitting the web like crazy. There are tons of post talking about it. I have been reading ahead to see what all you can do with your new Google + (plus). Of course you can find post on sites like Search Engine Land, Mashable..... I looked for some different stuff & stuff that is on Google Plus.

I found someone that has a post Some useful-but-maybe-not-obvious features of Google+ this gives you an inside look at some features...some of them are WAY cooler than Facebook or Twitter. One of the things I like is that you can make Circles (list) so when you make a post you can send it to just that group of people. I think that will be super cool so you are not sending out a great new song you found to people that you work with. Or maybe I can send out health info to only my people that are into healthy stuff....cool eh?

I also found another Google Plus post that tell you how you can invite friends How to invite people by email or contact list to Google+

As you may know, I love Google Buzz and will be bummed when it goes away but I think the new Plus will be just as cool if not cooler.

As much as I hate Facebook...I hope I can find all the cool people on + so I don't have to go back to FB. LOL!

Then I will have to see if Trunkly will import links from G+.
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Some Google + (Plus) Help

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok, once you are in...You may want to set up a filter in your Gmail. That way all messages from @plus.google.com will all go into 1 folder & not clog your inbox.

You will also see in the Upper Right of any Plus Post or in your Gmail there is a SHARE box next to your name. This is where you can post updates. HINT! Make sure that if there is a CIRCLE group listed that you X it out if you are trying to send to a different group.

The part called SPARKLES is cool. You can visit & search for different topics of News type feeds. Then when you chose to get a Sparkle...it will list that so you can just click and visit the latest news on that topic.
If I wrote about American Idol & wanted the latest news on that then I would search Sparkles for American Idol and add it. Then I could see all that news rather than going and doing a G search.

From what I read, +1's from articles and sites will have an effect on your site or article being shown in the SPARKLES section. So make sure you have the +1 on your blog or site!

As usual, there will be a learning curve. So if you have any tips...help us out please.
Sheryl Loch

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 am

Well, it looks like Google Plus uses some of the same things we saw when using BUZZ. So here are the ways that you can add a little umph to your plus post.

(*)word(*) = bold

(_)word(_) = italics

(-)word(-) = strikethrough

If you want to have someone notified or "Tagged" in your post...just do like you would Twitter or FB and put @name or you can do a +Name

You can also MUTE a thread! This will be very handy unless you want to continue to get notifications with each new comment on it.

Above I said to set up an email filter so your Inbox would not get flooded. Here is another way to handle all the email notifications -
Up in the Right Corner click on the "Carrot" next to your name & Pic.
Pick ACCOUNT SETTINGS from the DropDown,
There you can click GOOGLE +,
This is where you can choose to get email notifications for different reasons from your Google +

If you post something and do NOT want people to ReShare it...In he Upper Right of your post you will see a "Carrot" that when clicked gives you 4 choices
Edit Post
Delete Post
Disable Comments
Disable ReSharing

Ok, that is all I got so far!
Sheryl Loch

Google + Plus Age Limit

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:14 pm

There is an age limit for joining and using Google + (Plus).
If your Gmail or YouTube account believes you are under 18 years old then even if you get an invite to the new G + when you click over to Learn More & join you will see the following message -
This feature is not available for your account
You must be over a certain age to use this feature.

Because I was trying to help Cait set this up so she could be in contact with her Idol Boss and the other writers...I found this out.

I also went on a search for why...I found a Google person had said that during the testing phase, they are only allowing 18 and over to join. When they get all the "Child Protection" in place they will open it up to 13 y/o and over.

It does make sense because for sure...some kid under 18 will see, hear, or read something and a parent will want to sue.

There was no time frame as to when the child safe feature will be in place so if you are notified you are not old enough to be eligible...Just hold your horses. Bitching to Google will not change a thing.
Sheryl Loch

Postby onnaholl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Wow- Sheryl! Thanks for the great insights into google +!! I did add it to one of my blogs and will have to work on my others as well!! Do we have an area where everyone who has added it has listed their sites so we can take a visit?
Hope you all are well!! Haven't been around much because of school!! Happy to have the summer off!
Have Children? Need Activities, craft or advice? Come Over To Toddler Craft

Want to make extra money online for free? Making Money Quick Blog
onnaholl

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Hey Onna, you are talking about the +1 which is different from the Google +.

I wondered if all the + would be confusing...It confuses me.

We have a thread about the +1 at Adding +1 to Your Blog
You can leave your site link there for us.

The Google + is the new "social network" by Google.

I may need to change my name to Sheryl + just so I sound hip. LOL!
Sheryl Loch

Postby KarenKramer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:58 am

Hey guys...

Can I get an invite? Please!!! I promise to be nice all day :lol:

Karen

OK... so maybe I'll be nice for more than a day..
From the Weird and
Slightly Quirky Mind of
Karen Kramer
KarenKramer

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:03 am

I will get them out....I did an edit & took out your emails so any bot spam will not grab them. :o
Sheryl Loch

Postby onnaholl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:54 am

OHHHH!!! I will have to go back to your email invite then!! I think I got one from brad!! I am confused, lol!! I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

onnaholl

Postby onnaholl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:59 am

Looks like their invites are full for now, I'll have to try again.

onnaholl

Next

Return to Marketing Topics