Adding Google +1 to Wordpress Blogs

Discuss how you are making money. How do we optimize our actions and get the most out of what we are doing online information and action.

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Have you added the new Google +1 to your site?

We did it on some sites. It was somewhat painful because I happen to be the type of person that had to do it now! Nope no waiting to see what others were doing…I had to try it. Since the 1st announcement about adding the button, it has become much easier.

Sites we added the +1 to. Go ahead and try it...give them a +1.
Anipal Info
Fuzzy Wuzzy Anipals Plush Animals
Abbotts Limo

Ok, the original way we did it was a +1 for the site domain itself. We went and made the code and then placed it in a widget text box near the head (above the fold).

You must place this code in your script in the <HEAD> section! <script type="text/javascript" src="http://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>

Then you will add a Widget to the top or side of your blog which I am sure you know how to do. There you will add the code <g:plusone size="tall" href="http://YOUR DOMAIN NAME HERE "></g:plusone>

Be sure to SAVE all your stuff or you may be waiting for ½ an hour for it to show up…if you don't hit the SAVE button…it will never work (trust me I know). LOL!

If you are not sure if the new code is on the page…I always do a search on View Page Source to look for anything added that is not working.

The easiest way to do that is OPEN a VIEW PAGE SOURCE,
Then click CONTROL (Clrt) and the letter F,

You will see at the bottom of your page a tool bar & simply type in "plusone" ,

Now click Highlight all,

If you don't see your new Pluse One code right away click Next.

The control F works on Firefox…I don't know if it works on other browsers. I use the Ctrl F all the time. It is a great way to find things on any web page, including a Google SERP.

As for getting the Google +1 button on every article of your Wordpress blog, we used a plugin called Google +1 WordPress Plugin

It has been working as far as I know. You could help us test it out by going over and giving the sites a +1. Yes, you should also tell EVERYONE you know to also +1 the sites and every page.

Ok, that might be asking a little too much but, I had to try. LOL

If you are not participating in the Google +1, you can easily add it. If you have a Google Account you can join the +1 group at Join Google +1 then you will be able to +1 sites that you like!

Hope this helps!

If you have added the +1 to your site...put a link here so we can all find it.
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Adding Google +1 to Wordpress Blogs

Postby Sire » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Hey Sheryl, that's why I love WordPress so much there's always a plugin for the job. It was only a matter of days after Google +1 was born that someone developed a plugin for it. Cool huh? :)
Sire

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 am

Yes, they had that plug in FAST! I bet the builder had the +1 as a tester. I am soooo glad they have people to build those plug ins or I would be in deep poop. I have no skill in coding.
Sheryl Loch

Postby onnaholl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I put the +1 on my blog http://www.toddlercraft.net I am going to work on my other blogs soon. I have +1'd a few of your anipals pages already! Will head over and do some more along with your other blogs!
Have Children? Need Activities, craft or advice? Come Over To Toddler Craft

Want to make extra money online for free? Making Money Quick Blog
onnaholl

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Onna, I tried to +1 your main domain from the widget box on the left side column. It isn't working.

It looks like the only code in the box is <g:plusone></g:plusone>

I am only looking at a View Page Source but make sure you have your URL in there - There you will add the code <g:plusone size="tall" href="http://YOUR DOMAIN NAME HERE "></g:plusone>

Either that is missing or maybe the +1 is just giving me grief tonight.
Sheryl Loch

Postby Sire » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:42 am

Here's a tip for you guys. You know how most people install the plugin so that people can vote for the individual posts? Well, I went one better. I installed the code in the sidebar so that people can vote for the actual blog. ;)

When viewing the post the sidebar +1 will show the value of the post itself so having it there gives your readers another chance to vote for you.
Sire

Postby Brian Hawkins » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks Sheryl, I tried it on HotBlogTips.com and it worked like a charm.

Honestly, I don't even know where that shows up. I've 1+ed (<- new word) plenty of sites and I don't see it show up on Google+. I guess it helps with our google results so it's a good thing to have.

Hurry, everyone run over there and see how high you can get my G+ number up!
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:58 am

Hey Brian, if you go to your Google Profile you will see your +1 "tab" Here is mine - https://plus.google.com/107653058982522 ... 2/plusones

I had more +1's and they all disappeared. Not sure why.

I do know that because of one of my add ons or plug ins, I can not +1 from a button on a site. I think it maybe my Firebug add on but I need it so I haven't disconnected it. I just go out to Google search & +1 it from there. (I also can't get a LIKE button on a page to work). Something must be screwing with the Java in my settings.
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:15 am

Funny I never noticed that before. I can't see 1+s on your but I can on mine:

Your Taps
Posts About Photos Videos Buzz

My Taps
Posts About Photos Videos +1s Buzz

Then I started looking around and out of about a dozen profiles in my circles I can only see two 1+ tabs, Sire & Jessica Wallin. It must be in the privacy settings somewhere. I want everything hidden from the public but I want those in my circles to see my 1+ clicks. Can you see my tab? https://plus.google.com/109240957660270486515/

We already know how slow I am at these things but I never even noticed the Buzz tab.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:40 pm

I can't see your +1's tab. I only see your - Posts About Photos Videos Buzz

While logged into your email...
Click your name,
In the dropdown box you will see PRIVACY,
click that & it goes to your profile,
click "+1" tab and you can set it to "SHOW THIS TAB ON YOUR PROFILE" - or uncheck it so it is not shown.

BEWARE on the PHOTO Tab - for saftey you need to check and see how you have the box checked for - Show photo geo location information in newly uploaded albums and photos.!

That geo location may not be important to some people but, I sure wouldn't want it on because those can sometimes give away exact addresses.

Ta-Da!
Sheryl Loch

Return to Marketing Topics