What would you do? "New" camera bought on ebay not new!

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Isha » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:49 am

This problem may seem a little anal, but I can't let it go :shock:

I bought a camera on ebay described as "New, other: "A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects". The seller said it comes with a 3-month warranty. The price was £40 including p&p ($65).

But the camera is *not* new, and there's no warranty in the box. I wrote to the seller a couple of times but he insists it's "New other" and says that if there's a problem within the 3 months then write to him.

I'm mad at him for describing a used cam as "New"!

My old camera was the same make and broke after about 1 1/2 years. Both cams have about the same amount of wear and tear. If it breaks in 3 months it's not a good buy. If it was new I could reasonably expect it to last about 1 1/2 years like my old one. I don't want to have to keep buying new cameras!

Here's a video we took showing its used state:

Watch on youtube.com

I don't want to return the camera because I need one and don't want the trouble of packaging it & sending it back.

If I ask for £10 back ($16) that might seem like an overly cheap price to pay for a camera even if it is "Used"? And if I ask for £5 ($8) that's so little that it could seem petty? I've also considered asking him to pay £5 to a charity and send me a copy of the receipt. Of course, I also want an admission that it was not new & an apology!

If I do nothing (except give bad feedback which most people probably won't see because he has a lot of sales per month) then he is free to do the same to anyone else.

So, what would you do? I'd love to know! Thanks in advance.
Isha

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What would you do? "New" camera bought on ebay not new!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 pm

That would soooo piss me off. I have a camera that is 5 years old & looks closer to new than that one. Ours has been taken everywhere & Cait even takes it on camping trips & it's not that banged up.

The seller had no right to even describe it as new. Or maybe it was new to him after he bought it used.

Since I'm a real ass, I would insist on the money back. I would then leave feedback that his descriptions may be misleading. That and make a blog post with all his info and the video....

I guess part of it comes down to how much would that same camera be new?
Sheryl Loch

Postby Isha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Yeah, I'm inclined to ask for my money back too. It would have been my first action once I'd realised it was used, if I didn't have to send it Recorded Delivery & pay for the damned return myself. That would be another day lost :(

You know, I rather want to spit at this guy :evil:

It's usually hard to find new ones of this model as it's no longer made, but there's one on ebay for £119.50 or "Make an offer", in its original unopened packaging so it'll have a 2-year warranty. I'm working on getting my old one fixed under its warranty right now. But I'd rather pay a decent price for a new cam with 2-year warranty than be ripped off buying a 3-month warranty one that pretends it's been in a shop window when it's really been used.

Anyway, now to let the poor booger know that Isha's after his balls...
Isha

Postby Brad West » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Looks like you have the camera ordeal under control for the most part.
You also have the option of asking him what kind of review he would like on his ebay account. If the item purchased was not like described, or deceitful in any way you can post5 it so others can see. The reviews are extremely important to most selling on ebay.
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Postby Isha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I sent the camera back, enclosing a print-out of his offer to refund the dosh I paid out for it. Looking to see if he refunds me without any more pestering from me, but yes I can use the feedback argument to get it from him if needs be.

He still doesn't acknowledge that he mis-described the product, so after getting the refund it's off to ebay to see if they'll get me back the postage. I'd really like to be paid for my time, but doubt that will happen :P But I'm for sure reporting the mis-selling to ebay. He's trying to make out that the scratches & gouges are "cosmetic blemishes" :lol:

I'll definitely be giving the link to the youtube video in my feedback! :P
Isha

Update Re: What would you do "New" camera bought on ebay not

Postby Isha » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Update:

Seller told me he'd refund if I sent camera back, so I sent it back. Cost me ~£3.90 postage.

Seller refunded me only the price of the camera, not the £5 postage & packing, and not the ~£3.90 it cost me to send it back.

I told seller I wanted cost of p&p refunded to me since he had mis-described the item & I didn't see why I should be out-of-pocket.

No response from seller. I waited longest time poss before opening up a case at EBay. Told them all the communication between us together with proof; gave them url of Youtube vid, said I wanted all the p&p paid to me.

Got email from eBay a day or 2 back, saying, ""We've informed the seller that the item wasn't as described" (so they presumably agree with me re the mis-description) and that "the seller has offered [me] a partial refund of £5".

So: do I take the £5 and lose out on only ~£3.90 (a measly amount) or do I hold out & say: No, I want all the p&p paid to me (which eBay might - or might not - think is reasonable)? Seems stupid to be arguing about such small amounts, but there is also a principle involved here.
Isha

Postby Isha » Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 am

My new message to the seller:
"After having given this due thought, I will not accept a partial refund, but request a full refund of £8.82"

:P
Isha

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri May 13, 2011 4:14 pm

I was going to ask the other day how this was going but...I was afraid.

Not sure why the guy would want to argue when he was in the wrong to start with. If he does business this way then he will just add the cost of your shipping refund to the next guy he lies to (and hope no one notices).
Sheryl Loch

Postby Isha » Mon May 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, he seems to have made it a business feature :lol:

I've now had a message from him saying that Paypal will only permit him to repay what I originally paid him (ie price of camera plus his postage & packing that I had to pay) & so he can't pay back the cost of my having sent the camera back to him. I've written to a friend who's been using eBay as a seller a long time & see what she says about that. If it's true, then I will be a small amount out of pocket on the whole thing - darn!!

What were you afraid of Sheryl - am I scary? :lol:
Isha

Return to Lounge