Google and Twitter Come Together For Egyptian People

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Looks like Google & Twitter have stepped in to help give the Egyptian people a worldwide voice.
They have set up phone numbers so people with only voice lines can call in and leave a voice message. These messages are then sent out through Twitter.

I could be misunderstanding the process a bit so just go with it. ;-)

You can see Googles' official announcement at Googles Speak to Tweet Announcement

Here is a scetchy part that I am still trying to figure out - If you follow or visit Speek 2 Tweet on Twitter it looks like each of the links they tweet out will go to a recorded message by the people of Egypt that are using the service. Many of these messages are not in English of course but, I did find 1 that the lady spoke very good english & you can get a real gest of how it works. Just click over to Voice Message from Voice of Egypt.

If I am following tweets chats correctly, they may be trying to find a way to translate the messages so others can understand them. That would be a great help in getting their message & concerns out to the entire world.

Technology just blows my mind. These people at Google, Twitter, and SayNow just thought of what they could do and made it happen in a weekend.
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Google and Twitter Come Together For Egyptian People

Postby Sheryl Loch » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 am

They have started translating more of the Speak2Tweet messages!

You can see some of the messages at Translation List of #Egypt Speak2Tweet It looks like this site has a translator & then the translation is verified by 2 other translators. I am sure this will help keep any people from falsifying the message.

You can also go to Speak2Tweet Translation blog. Here each message is posted as a new post it also includes a link to the original spoken message.

I looked through some of the messages and the people seem very optimistic that they will get things changed for the better.
Sheryl Loch

Return to Lounge