Using Jellyfish to Find Cancer cells

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 pm

There is a new way Researchers in North Yorkshire are trying out to find small deep cancer cells. This new method will "light up" the cancer cells so they can be found.

Get this, they are not even using some crazy glow in the dark man made chemical. They are using cells from Jellyfish.

From the article Jellyfish cells 'diagnose' cancer, York scientists say
"Viruses containing the proteins are targeted to home in on tiny bundles of cancer cells scattered throughout the body which are too small to be seen by conventional scanning techniques.

But the viruses grow and, while doing so, make more and more of the fluorescent proteins."

They then use a special camera that sees the glowing cells.

I think is sounds pretty cool. It could mean that people could be diagnosed even earlier.
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Using Jellyfish to Find Cancer cells

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 am

That is pretty cool. I've seen on TV, on a couple of occasions, where dogs were able to sense or smell cancer on people. I have no idea if any serious research has been done on the subject but it's pretty interesting.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Re: Using Jellyfish to Find Cancer cells

Postby Sheryl Loch » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm

They have done a lot with dogs. You figure they are some of the best sniffers out of things. They also can sense things people can't like low blood sugar, seizures.... Yet, to many people do not think they are 100% accurate so they don not give them much support. How stupid is that? Like machine test are 100%? I think not.

Today found a cool story about rats. Yes, those lil rodents that make people scream. Ok, the ones in todays story are 10-15 pounds so they are not all that little.

Anywhoooo, they are training them to sniff out TB. Just think of all the 3rd world countries that can't afford $ for some of the equipment or test supplies. This could be at least a 1st defense in finding tuberculosis. It may not be a perfect solution but, WTH, it would have to be better than nothing and the lil critters are kind of cute in their own way.

The story is at Detecting Tuberculosis: No Microscopes, Just Rats. I am going to go get myself a Gambian Pouched Rat, she can sniff out land mines, bombs, TB, and lost M&M's.
Sheryl Loch

Return to Lounge