2010 Census Maybe A Little Too Personal

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Brad West » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Article I, section 2 of the Constitution calls for an enumeration of citizens every ten years, for the purpose of apportioning congressional seats among the various states.

The way i see it is the census should be nothing more than a headcount. I don't think it was ever intended to serve as a vehicle for gathering personal information on citizens.

Federal bureaucracy consistently encourages citizens to think of themselves in terms of groups, rather than as individual Americans. Each group, whether ethnic, religious, social, or geographic, should speak up and demand its fair share. The profiling continues, I don't know about you but I am an American born and raised here!

The information from previous censuses have been illegally misused although to find different unlawful people in the US still illegal.

If the federal government really needs compliance with the census, the federal government should abide by the Constitution and limit its inquiry to one simple question, How many people live here?
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2010 Census Maybe A Little Too Personal

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 pm

From what I have been reading online & hearing on the local news...people are tired of the "Race" question. To many Government studies want to put everything into a race category. I feel that by putting everything into groups divided by race just reinforces a difference in people.

If they just list people as people then we would have less reason to blame another race, religion, or group. Wouldn't that start to cut down all the lines that have been drawn between people of the human race...or even just Americans as far as the census?

Anyhow, Google Maps has teamed up with the Census Bureau to put up a United States map showing "Mail Participation Rate". It is suppose to show the percentage of households in a given area that have filled out & returned their Census form. You can see it HERE

I know that on our Vegas news they said that the Census Bureau even wanted Illegal's to fill out the form & send it in. I kinda doubt that will happen. I think to many of them will be concerned that they will be found out & deported. But, if they fill it out & the States number of residents go up then, that state can get more Federal Funding. The state may also get an added Representative...even though the illegals can't vote. (I do not get that other than maybe the ones in office will give themselves a raise, since there are more people).

This whole census thing has become more of a mess because so many people are now online discussing the legality of the questions & privacy concerns.

What do you think?
Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm not participating. They pissed me off before I could even open the envelope.

Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Oh no Brian, they will send someone to your house to fill out the form for you. That will cost us tax payers millions (or at least they will say that is where the money went).
In fact I saw on the news that they missed a ton of addresses so they will be sending out a 2nd wave of forms to all the ones they missed. But, it's after April 1st so, now people are already breaking the "law".

I don't have any idea how they expect to send out people where the address was not returned, we have so many vacant homes & apartments here...it would take forever for individuals to visit each place just to say "no one lives there".
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 am

I'd be happy for them to come over a help me fill it out. Could be fun ;)
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby theflyonthewall » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Sheryl Loch wrote:Oh no Brian, they will send someone to your house to fill out the form for you. That will cost us tax payers millions (or at least they will say that is where the money went).
In fact I saw on the news that they missed a ton of addresses so they will be sending out a 2nd wave of forms to all the ones they missed. But, it's after April 1st so, now people are already breaking the "law".

I don't have any idea how they expect to send out people where the address was not returned, we have so many vacant homes & apartments here...it would take forever for individuals to visit each place just to say "no one lives there".

Hi Sheryl, this is what my job was with the Census.

I visited every single possible dwelling in my group and I had to update maps, addresses, if the place was uninhabitable, or like you said no one lived there. I had to leave a form at every dwelling that was habitable whether anyone lived there or not. Then the 2nd or 3rd wave will go back to the addys that didn't return one to see if anyone is in fact living there and to get it filled out for them.

I too agree race should not be part of it but I don't have a problem with age, male or female questions.

Anyhoo, Brian it doesn't really matter to the enumerator aka census worker whether you fill it out or not because they are getting paid to visit you. To all of us enumerators it was great to have a job that paid.

Tam
theflyonthewall

Postby Sheryl Loch » Sat May 22, 2010 5:19 pm

I was telling Tam through Twitter that a Las Vegas woman had the police called on her for showing a shot gun to a census worker.

I found the original news story at Las Vegas Homeowner Pulls Gun on Census Taker. It was later found that this was the 2nd census worker to come to the ladies door. She told the worker to leave. Apparently the worker was being pushy & insisted the lady answer the questions. The worker then started to walk around the side of the ladies house. The woman never pointed the gun at the worker. The home owner has also been said to have cancer. Police came but, no charges were filed.

I wonder what gave this worker the idea that they should push the home owner that much?
Maybe the home owner had already received and sent in her form and thought that she was being harassed or even being scammed. We recently had a news story of fake census workers taking advantage of people to gather personal info.

So far the census bureau seems to be in a real cluster. Many people have received numerous forms & still had workers come to their door.
Many states are still encouraging illegals to fill out the form so the state can get money.
Other people think that the form ask to many personal questions that are NOT part of the census.

I can't wait to see the results of this census. How many people filled them out correctly or did they just make crap up because they were sick of it?
Sheryl Loch

Return to Lounge