Trying Out Twitter Feed for the Forum

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 pm

I am just posting a quick news update to let you know that I have set up a TwitterFeed.com account.
This will check the board every 3 hours & it is suppose to then send out 1 tweet with the title & link to the newest post made on the board.

I have this hooked into the TIMGuild Forum Twitter account.

Since this is my 1st time using this service it is somewhat of a test. If for any reason it causes problems or seems spammy, I will put a stop on it.
I do want to make sure links go out to your post without looking like a Feed spammer.

If you make a post & your post link is not sent out it could be that someone posted a thread after you & they are the 1st new post found in the RSS Feed.
I do have it set to ONLY check the RSS Feed every 3 hours. It is also set to only send out 1 tweet to the newest thread (or post).

I will be watching & working on this as we go.

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Happy with my Twitterfeed Test for the Forum

Postby Sheryl Loch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm

I will say that my little test made me very happy!

TwitterFeed is not spamming the same post all the time!
I set the settings to check the boards RSS feed every 3 hours & only send out 1 tweet IF there was a new post made since the last time it sent!
That is what it is doing! If there was no new post made on the board then TwitterFeed sent nothing! YEAH!

I was afraid that it might send out the same link every 3 hours, if there had not been a new post made. I would have felt spammy about that.

I think my fear comes from seeing so many Twitter accounts that send links out over & over. Not just 1 link but sometimes several in a row. <-Yuck!

I did find that when I made 2 post in a row on the board here that it only sent the most recent thread link. So not every thread link may get sent out through twitter automatically but, I would rather it miss a few that over run peoples stream with links.

My decision is that TwitterFeed works fine, it is the people setting it up for their accounts that are spammers!

Twitterfeed is a tool that, if used responsibly, could be a great asset!

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Return to Lounge