Are Good Work Ethics Gone?

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm

Have the work ethics of people been lost?

I will say that many people now days do not have the work ethics that built this country (USA).

I know that growing up my parents went to work no matter what.
I have watched my Dad get a tractor & blade the drive way & road just so he could get his car to the main road & head off to work.

My parents almost never took a sick day. I am sure my Parents went to work even when others now would call in sick.

This was the norm, it wasn’t just my parents it was most everyone.

I had this work ethic instilled in me & also did not call in sick just because I didn’t feel like going to work. It is my responsibility to go to work so, someone else did not have to do my job.

What happened to so many other people that think work is something you do when it is convenient or you have spent your last nickel & need to get that paycheck to have cash for your next hiatus?

Here is the Story of a Detroit UPS man that has reported into his job for 63 years.
He has been on the job since 1946.
He has only taken 5 sick days!
Marty Peters has reported in for his last day on the job. I really wonder how UPS could even try to throw a retirement party for him. He was working for the company before many of them were even born. It’s also not like most companies have an employee that has been with them 63 years.

I just wonder where we would be if other people loved their jobs & were so faithful to work?

How will the country do in the next few years considering that so many kids are being raised with the thinking that work is a dirty word (inconvenience)?

You can see the mini story The 2 Million Mile Man
[right] [/right]
Sheryl Loch
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are Good Work Ethics Gone?

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm not so sure it's an issue of ethics. It might be priorities. I have have never, not even once in my entire life, called in sick - true story. I'm not saying I'm the most honorable person on the planet, I've jut always had the kind of job that you don't suddenly take a day off from. My point is, where has all that work ethic gotten me? No disrespect to our parents or our generation.

Like you I'm amazed at how many younger people call in sick at the drop of the hat or even run for the door to get off work as soon as the opportunity arrives. Especially on Fridays, imagine that. With that said, I've tried to raise our children to do their best but shoot for the sky by working for themselves. They're all grown now and it's too early to now if it took hold but I hope they work hard for themselves and let the boss worry about himself. My oldest daughter owns and runs a small business cleaning company and she's doing very well. One thing for sure, when you are the business owner, there's no time to get sick.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Brian,
I understand that companies now days also do not 'take note' of good workers like they used to. I know companies at one time would work at keeping employees happy, especially the ones that showed up every day and do their job.

Like you said, your kids know how important it is to do do your job & let the boss worry about someone else. That is why your daughter can be her own boss. She probably works harder than most people. Cleaning is a HARD job & being the owner, worker, manager....takes allot more than just working for the other guy.
I bet she would love to hire employees that show up & do the work needed without her watching over their shoulder.

I am sure she hopes to find a trustworthy reliable employee like Marty the UPS guy.

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brad West » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I worked mostly for myself for about 18 years. Now that I have been working for other people I sometimes feel like calling in, but I don’t. Working for Food4Less though if you try to call in they tell you can’t. Pretty sure if you are sick the health dept. may frown on working in a grocery store. I do understand partially because of the youngsters calling in at the drop of a hat.

You can take a day off with a doctor’s note. This seems to be no problem for people to just go to the ER and get one whenever they want. I suspect that constantly going to the ER for doctors notes puts some unneeded expense on the health care system since our insurance it completely inadequate and there is defiantly enough pay.

The biggest thing is responsibility and accountability. Everything seems to have a way of being blamed on someone or something else. The general consensus of the masses is that it is expected that others are to be delinquent and irresponsible, it’s expected and accepted. Just like unions, at one time they were great, but now it is expected that you get top pay for a mediocre job. There is no motivation to achieve excellence with most unions.

There are allot of factors that have brought us to where we are today with work ethics. I guess good or bad it’s who you are, and your prospective that have created it. I personally don’t agree with it, that’s why I am digging hard to work for myself again, I kind of like the boss.
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Return to Lounge