Oprah Sues Acai Berry & More

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 am

It’s about time!
Oprah & Dr.Oz have had it with companies scamming people while using their good names.

Looks like marketers & the companies they rep for have messed with the wrong people, when they used Oprah & Dr. Oz to push their products. (duh, O is the last person you mess with).

Most of us know that when Oprah has a product on her show the sales skyrocket. I am sure these companies know this & maybe figured that no one would care if they just said Oprah endorsed it (or even implied by using her image).

Hmm, O cares & she has the power to push this lawsuit through all the needed channels. “You go girl”!

Acai Berry is just one of the products on her list of suing. Since it is pretty much a scam, I can see why it is named straight out.

Other companies are using the dynamic duo to promote dietary supplements, cellulite/anti-wrinkle creams & tooth-whitening products.

It seems that at least 50 businesses are involved in this suit. I have not yet found a list of all of them.

I am glad that Oprah & the Dr. have done this. I am tired of all the companies & marketers that are lying & stealing from people.

You can see the simple suit MADIGAN FILES LAWSUITS AGAINST ACAI BERRY COMPANIES

I won’t give my thoughts on Acai Berry as a health product *cough, junk juice, cough*

So, will this mean that other celebrities will put the hammer down on products using their name/image for false advertising?
[right] [/right]
Sheryl Loch
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Oprah Sues Acai Berry & More

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Last year my best off-line friend was trying to get me to get into that Acai Berry business. He said Oprah was part of it and had a video to prove it. I don't hold it against him, I know he was being deceived. I told him it didn't sound right and I wasn't interested in any more multi-level marketing programs no matter what the product. I've tried over a dozen of them, literally. It's simply not my cup of tea. He wasn't happy with me but got over it. He also got over Acai Berry after tossing hundreds of dollars into it.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Brad West » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

For a company to actually provide deceitful information to their distributes for solely for the gain of the company is truly a crime. I can't recall for certain right now I would have to go to natural news. But most of the juices like that are ineffective for the most part. Another instance where the brain takes over and results are physically felt more because of the investment and desire to believe. In order to be sold in this country I believe that the government regulations stipulate that the product must be processed to the point of usefulness.

That is enough about the product now for the MLM. Like you Brian I to have been involved with MLM since about 1984 with I don't want to count how many business. I have made some money but every one of the companies that I was involved with are ether nonexistent or have changer from MLM to affiliate programs. I can say in the long run I lost money. The MLM model is destine to fail because of the eventual attrition rate for the most part. The products are way over priced to allow for those big payouts.

I will say that we are involved with an MLM right now Moxxor it's called, Great Omega3 product. We got involved solely because Mike Adams of Natural News had endorsed it. That is actually all I have to say about that matter at this point. I can say thet we have some great rankinbgs on our Moxxor site.

I do understand why Oprah is doing what she is doing, and wonder if your friend Brian has any grounds to stand on when it comes to this crime.

Brad West ~ onomoney
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Postby Sheryl Loch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:02 am

Brian you should tell your friend to be on the look out, It is being said that Attorney General Lisa Madigan has also filed suit on behalf of consumers allegedly tricked by the fake endorsement scam. Saw this in the Chicago Sun & other news papers.

If that is true, then any purchases may be in a type of Class Action law suite. Not sure if they would end up getting any money back but, it would be worth him to get on the list if they are filing for customers.

Oprah will make sure this company pays, since she knows how many people have been over charged, fake promises, & just because they used her. LOL!

It's junk companies like this that make all natural health look bad.
No matter how great a product is people will say, ooooo I remember Acai Shit & how it was a farce, blah,blah,blah....

Now, I'm so mad I want to go kick the crap out of those Acia crap people!

Sheryl

ps. Just so you know Acai berries ARE very healthy. This company just made their cool aid with mostly junk juice & the other part of their products are likely just as cheaply made.
Sheryl Loch

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:19 pm

I'll let him know but he's started and stopped with a dozen other programs since then. I keep waiting for him to find the right match that works for him so I can ask for an investment capitol grant. It has to be a grant because I don't borrow from or loan to friends but I'll accept a grant from anyone :)
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:53 pm

I wonder how much the lawsuit, against Acia Berry, by Oprah influenced the FTC refining their guidelines on Bloggers & celebrity endorsements?

I posted my 'what's bad about this' on a thread Is the FTC Going to Far. I had to beat & bang on how the FTC may use these new guidelines to go after the wrong people.

I kind of doubt that even the FTC would have went after O even if she did endorse a bum product. Heck, no one will be happy with the results they get from everything they buy.

@Brian,
When I am rich, I will give you a grant. Or maybe I will just offer you a drone job. LOL!
Sheryl Loch

Return to Lounge