BlueServo Guarding the Mexican Border from Anywhere

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Brad West » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Guarding the Mexican Border from Anywhere in the US

The state of Texas put forth a 2 million dollar grant so any one in the world actually can watch the Texan Mexico border on 15 different cameras. The site that hosts the live streams is called BlueServo.net. People are watching from all over the United States, there are 43,000 registered users that can send e-mail messages straight to local law enforcement.

This is a stride forward in U.S. efforts to halt illegal immigration, drug smuggling and border violence.
The over seeing body is the Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition, this is an association of 20 sheriffs from border US Mexican counties. The project seeks to spread responsibility for the border's security across the nation's masses of Internet users. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to pitch in and help.

Since BlueServo.net launched November 20 there have been about 20 million clicks to the website. The site has gained national attention at a time when many eyes are focused on the southern border of the United States.

The cameras spy on stretches of the Texas-Mexico border where the border Patrol isn't particularly active or where the border wall hasn't been constructed. They have declined to list locations of the cameras for security reasons but said most are hidden on existing structures on private properties. They want to place cameras everywhere there is not a fence along the border.

This has proven to be extremely effective People seem to want to get involved with the protection of the 1250 mile border since all else has failed.

Brad West ~ onomoney
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Guarding the Mexican Border from Anywhere

Postby Sheryl Loch » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:41 am

I would suspect that the Mexico Boarder Watch Site has grown even more since you posted this.

This topic is making headline news.
The deaths are piling up not only in Mexico but also in the United States.
Our local news said their had been over 7000 deaths in Mexico since January of 2008, because of the drug wars.

Phoenix, Arizona has reported 400 kidnappings related to this same issue. From what I understand, they kidnap people for ransom and to sell into the sex trade.

Many Texas boarder cities are also fighting to stay safe. Both areas had requested National Guard troops a while back. I think Obama is going to have homeland security and military forces in place soon.

The news also showed piles of guns that were seized from some of these drug traffickers. Most of these guns they believe to have come from the United States.

I have long thought that with the high unemployment rate government should send 'regular' people down to watch the low traffic crossing areas. Let these people earn a paycheck and help protect the country.
If you think about it, many of the unemployed are vets and retired service men & women. I bet many of them would be happy to patrol these parts.

My original thought was that the midwest is having such an unemployment problem, give these guys a truck, fuel, food, & some pay. Having grown up in the midwest, I know many of these guys are hunters and already know how to use guns. Training them would be easy.

Sheryl
Sheryl Loch

BlueServo is not the only camera Las Vegas is catching Tagge

Postby Brad West » Thu May 28, 2009 8:26 pm

I was out and about checking some of the feedback and responses about the BlueServo.net project there are some paranoid stupid people in this world that think cameras on the border are an invasion of their privacy. I was totally stunned with some of the thinking that was actually posted. Or maybe it's me, I do realize there is a point that invasion of privacy is an issue but in a public setting I believe not. Maybe I have lived in Las Vegas too long. I don't remember ever working in a place that was with out cameras. look around going down most any street in Las Vegas and you will find yourself being monitored by someone. At first it made me a little uneasy but I guess keep your nose clean and you should have no worries.

The coolest thing is they are having some great luck catching criminals. It costs the city of Las Vegas and Clark County millions of dollars every year to clean up graffiti, walls, lamp posts, street signs, you name it are a graffiti tagger's pallet. They are calling it a new tool to help catch the taggers, but it is an old tool put to use properly.

Cameras are actually your friend I have seen too many times people have been unlawful or harmful to others and end up getting caught because of the presents of a camera. I guess it depends on what side of the law you are, the victims sure appreciate it.

Brad West ~ onomoney
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Return to Lounge