Can TwitPic Sell YOUR Pictures?

Politics, Health, Games, Vacations, or have you heard some news to share? Do you have an issue with a public figure? The subjects are endless this is the place to throw them on the table!

Postby Sheryl Loch » Mon May 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Here we go! Web companies that offer you free services may have a good reason. They may not make money off of you using the service but they are making money by selling your content.

There is an article today that states how TwitPic may sell your pictures that you have uploaded. They may also come after people who use the picture commercially without Twitpics permission. You can read the article at Fine Print Blurs Who’s in Control of Online Photos.

God, I hate linking to the NY Times. I'll probably get sued or blocked for linking to them (all the news papers have gone stupid).

Anyway, many big time users are turning away from using Twitpic anymore because of this. People want to have all the rights to the pics they take. Most don't mind sharing but, they don't want to be used and abused by such bullshit.

I guess, many of us know that when a site or service is free then there is a really good chance that at some point they will be making money off of it. We all know to read the agreements but, those can change so quickly (think Facebook). They also seem to have a long page of general Blah, blah, blah and just sneak in the stuff people would never agree to.

So will you keep using Twitpic?
Heck, will you go and delete your pics you already have on there?
Sheryl Loch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can TwitPic Sell YOUR Pictures?

Postby Brad West » Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Another good reason to own your own internet real estate. Facebook is the one I was concerned about doing just this but I see twitpic took the lead.

It will be interesting to see what transpires here.
Optimize what works, drop what doesn't
Brad West
Site Admin

Re: Can TwitPic Sell YOUR Pictures?

Postby Brian Hawkins » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm not surprised, it wasn't long ago we heard the same thing about Facebook. I agree with Brad, it's best to put pics on your own site and link to it when needed. I have a bunch of pics up on Flickr but haven't heard anything about them. Nothing would surprise me though, I don't trust any of the large social sites.
Blogging tips to help you build, promote and make money from your blog.
HotBlogTips.com
Weekly Blogging Tips by expert bloggers in the Hot Blog Tips Newsletter.
Brian Hawkins
Site Admin

Return to Lounge